Yes, it’s tough when we are pulled in many directions and become overwhelmed. Negative words just keep running in circles through our heads “That is NOT the way we work. Didn’t you listen? That is NOT the way to succeed. I just can’t get it right.”
And so the self-defeating thoughts become ingrained in our minds:
“I’m a FAILURE-I should just GIVE UP. “
So much of today’s advice is based on having and reaching specific concrete goals: Eat better, sleep more, exercise more, lose weight, be a better mom,wife, friend, reach more people, help more people, make more money, achieve SUCCESS. Ack! What happens next? Overwhelmed when not addressed properly becomes shut-down. Shut-down becomes true failure when we do not change our focus, pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.
“Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure. The way you think about a fact may defeat you before you ever do anything about it. You are overcome by the fact because you think you are.” Norman Vincent Peale
5 Tips to Overcome Overwhelm
- Give yourself a break. Take a deep breath, relax, and create some space for yourself. Pay attention to your body. Where are you holding your anxiety? In your shoulders and back? Pit of your stomach? Your head? Continue deep breathing, focus on relaxing your body, and above all else, forgive yourself. Repeat a simple positive phrase such as “I accept and love myself” or simply “I can do this”
- Get honest about what you’re doing and how you’re thinking about it. Negative thoughts keep us stuck in overwhelm. Unrealistic expectations from others and our own overly high standards do too. Understand that each failure is a learning experience. It doesn’t define who you are, but where you are going. Remember that every successful person has had their share of failure. The difference is that they embrace failure as an opportunity to change and grow.
- Decide what you truly want, see it as a real possibility, and take the first step, no matter how small, in creating it NOW. Whether you have a health goal or a business goal, focus on only one or two steps at a time. Have a strong picture in your mind of what is most important and what would work. At this point, it’s also important to reprogram what you’re telling yourself. Taking baby steps is often the key to success with this.
- Manage your energy by letting go of what’s not working for you and create environments that support what you want. I don’t have to tell you what an energy zapper overwhelm can be. That’s why it’s critical to make sure your action plan works on the energy drainers in your life and also develops a structure for building your energy
- Get support. Overwhelm often leads to isolation. Surround yourself with a network of positive, energizing and supportive people. Don’t try to get through it alone. You deserve SUCCESS!