Interested in starting a family? Here are some suggestions for you directly from the scientists at USANA Health Sciences:
Playing ball at the park, fly-fishing, growing vegetables in the garden, and building a treehouse in the backyard—these are just some of the things you might dream about doing with the kids you want to have some day. But what about now? As a future father, is there something you can do today to help build a healthier foundation for your family?
As a matter of fact, there is. Men, it’s important for you to pay attention to your nutrition because your health impacts your fertility and sperm quality. A man’s DNA is replicated in his sperm, so it’s important to do everything possible to ensure healthy sperm that function properly at the time of fertilization.
Schedule exercise and plan your meals ahead of time to make sure you’re eating properly. In addition to a diet low in saturated fat and rich in fruits and vegetables, you may want further supplementation. Consider using the following supplements and USANA Foods to give your future children a better beginning:
- HealthPak™ Daily Multivitamin, Multimineral, & Antioxidant Supplement—A broad-spectrum multivitamin and mineral supplement will help make sure you are getting the proper amounts of essential vitamins and minerals—vitamins C and E, folate, carotenoids, selenium, and zinc have all been linked with sperm health. Additionally, just like all the other cells in your body, antioxidant activity can help protect your sperm cells from damaging oxidative stress.* Especially if you live somewhere with a lot of pollution or eat few fruits and veggies, the AO Booster in our HealthPak delivers a power-packed dose of additional nutrients with excellent antioxidant activity that may be helpful for supporting sperm health and motility.*
- BiOmega™ Fish-oil Supplement—Omega-3 fatty acids help support the health of cellular membranes to keep them fluid.* Low phospholipid concentration in the sperm’s cell membrane can result in stiffening, which may affect motility.Higher intakes of omega-3 fats have been associated with a healthy sperm count.
- Vitamin D Supplement—We know that, for many people, up to 4,000 IU of vitamin D needs to be consumed daily to achieve consistent sufficiency, which is important for many aspects of health.* For men, it has been positively linked to sperm quality and healthy testosterone levels.
- CoQuinone® 30 Coenzyme Q-10 Supplement—Coenzyme Q-10 supplementation stabilizes the level of ubiquinone and ubiquinol in semen, which play a role in sperm motility.
- Digestion/Detox—Exposure to modern pollutants can impact a man’s sperm health. So, it’s a good idea to properly eliminate toxins from the body. Limit your exposure, and try using USANA Probiotic, Digestive Enzyme, Hepasil DTX™ supplement, and Fibergy® Plus fiber drink mix.
- USANA® Foods—Epigenetics have started to show the importance of a parent maintaining a healthy weight to help support the health of the next generation. Plus, the macronutrients in your diet help provide the components that contribute to the proper development of sperm cells. Get quality, balanced nutrition that can help maintain a healthy body weight by incorporating Nutrimeal™ drink mixes and USANA® Nutrition Bars into your healthy diet.*
You’ve got big plans for your little ones, but first you’ve got to take care of yourself. Decide which areas of your health you would like to improve, then visit the shopping cart and pick up your foundational family supplements today!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Copyright © 2013 USANA Health Sciences. All rights reserved