These 10 tips will not only help you shape up for summer, but will give you energy and overall health that sticks with you long after the summer days are gone. I have incorporated all these tips into my daily life.
10 Tips to Shape Up for Summer
- Start every day with a large glass of water. I leave a water bottle on my bedside table for this very reason. For a refreshing and even healthier twist, add some lemon to your water. Find out how an acidic lemon reduces your body’s acid load for healthier YOU.
- Eat real food. Summer is the perfect time to explore the fresh offerings at your local farmer’s market, on the perimeter of your grocery, or even grown in your own garden. Focus on fresh veggies and fruits in season- they will be less expensive, more nutritious, and tastier! Find out about incorporating super foods in your diet every day.
- Eat more greens. Up your intake of dark leafy greens, in particular spinach, parsley, and kale. Swiss chard is another favorite of mine- check out my simple recipes. Add these greens to a daily salad, a smoothie, or juice them with other veggies for a refreshing green drink.
- Add nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are a great source of vitamins, minerals, protein, fat and fiber. For the best nutritional value, eat them raw or dehydrated. I find mine at my local health food store in bulk bins and mix them together for a healthy snack.
- Take a quality probiotic or eat fermented foods every day. For excellent digestive and immune health, we need a natural balance of healthy bacterial growth in our gut. True sauerkraut, fermented pickles, kombucha and water kefir are good choices. Even easier and convenient while traveling is a quality probiotic supplement sold in an individual stick pack by USANA.
- Have a meal plan. I take a few minutes each week to plan meals around the fresh foods I have available. This simple task will help you stay on track with your goals, and eliminate the last minute “I’m too hungry to think” meals.
- Make changes one step at a time. Make one goal for yourself at a time. Maybe it’s replacing your soda with fresh water or taking a 15 minute walk at lunch. Just make it attainable and stick with it. Once you master that first goal, you can add another to it, and so on. When you do what you say you’re going to do, results will follow.
- Walk at least a mile a day. In other words, get up and move. Whether you enjoy counting steps, minutes or miles, walking is a great go-to exercise that almost anyone can do. Walk with a friend, outside if possible. Walking over uneven terrain provides more work and increased flexibility for your muscles, practice with balance,and overall health benefits including improving your mood- especially if the conversation is good!
- Try interval training. It is a great way to rev up your metabolism and you body will continue to burn more calories for the rest of the day. You can do it from home at your own fitness level. Simply up the intensity of your exercise for 1 or 2 minutes at a time with 30 seconds of rest in between. Interval training works well combined with circuit training, too.
- Love yourself. Quit beating yourself up over not meeting your goals right away. Frequently we jump feet first into a new lifestyle, wanting to see immediate results. Remember that simple daily actions lead to long-term health. If you want to learn more about building an exercise plan that works for you, take a look at 5 Tips to Get Started With an Exercise Plan.
Looking great in a bathing suit is only a temporary goal. Looking healthy and feeling great throughout the summer and on into next fall and winter is a goal that will bring you more satisfaction and enjoyment throughout your whole life.